Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Methi Matar Malai, Creamy Curry With Fenugreek Leaves and Peas


          Methi Matar Malai, the first time I tried this dish, it came out so bitter, I couldn't eat it and I had to throw it away. After that, I totally gave up on the dish, until I tasted it again at my friend's place, it tasted so creamy and delicious, I got the recipe from her but then I lost it. So this time, when I made it, though I was sure of all the ingredients that I added, I was a little skeptical about the taste, but then, when I tasted it, I was totally satisfied, it was perfect, creamy ( but I am telling you, I didn't add any cream, only milk ), flavorful and delicious..

Need To Have

  • Chopped Methi/Fenugreek Leaves - 2 cups
  • Fresh/Frozen Green Peas - 11/2 cup
  • Milk - 3/4 cup
  • Garam Masala - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Sugar - 11/2 teaspoon
  • Kasuri Methi - 1 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Salt to taste

To Grind

  • Onion - 1 medium, chopped
  • Ginger - 1" piece
  • Garlic - 4 cloves
  • Green Cardamom/Elaichi - 2
  • Cashew Pieces - 2 tablespoons
  • Green Chilly - 1 small

Method


          Grind together all the ingredients given under ' to grind ' into a smooth paste. Heat some oil, add the cumin seeds, when it starts sizzling, add the ground paste and saute it well till the raw smell of onions and garlic go away, sprinkle some water if the paste sticks to the pan and keep sauteing.


          Add the chopped fenugreek leaves and peas and mix it for a minute, Add about 1 cup of water, salt and sugar, cover and cook till the peas and fenugreek leaves are cooked.


         Add the milk, garam masala and kasuri methi, mix, let it simmer till it turns a little thick, then remove and serve it with rotis or naans.


Note
Kasuri Methi is dried fenugreek leaves, it's available in Indian grocery stores. Though I have added fresh fenugreek leaves, I added kasuri methi, because it gives a nice flavor.
If you want to make it even richer, then add some fresh cream.
Pin It

10 comments: